How many years of experience do you have? What kind of work are you looking for? How many hours per week are you available?
As a candidate registering for employment with a staffing service, you expect to answer questions like these during the interview process. But did you know that you should also come prepared with your own list of questions?
Staffing and recruiting firms come in all shapes and sizes. The range of services, niche specialties, industries served, employment policies and payroll schedules can vary greatly from company to company. And logically, you’re more likely to find rewarding employment with a firm whose services match your needs. So how do you choose the company that’s right for you?
Consider the following list of questions:
- Who are some of your clients?
- What industries and/or job assignments do you specialize in?
- Do you charge any fees for finding me work?
- What pay rate can I expect for my skills?
- What is the best time / way to contact you, to check if there’s work available?
- How / when will I be paid?
- Do you offer any employee benefits? Skills training? Referral bonuses?
- What happens if I show up for work, but the company doesn’t need me?
- What is your overtime policy?
- Will my job search be kept confidential?
- If a company wants to hire me full-time, what is your policy?
Most reputable staffing services, like UNITEMP, have comprehensive web sites – including FAQ pages – that provide answers to questions like these. Still, it’s always best to ask for clarification of anything you do not understand. So do your homework and come prepared to your interview with a list of your own questions. Turn the tables, and get the answers you need to choose a staffing firm that’s the right fit for you.