Let’s be honest – finding the right job opportunity is hard work.
Today’s job hunt is about more than just posting résumés and calling a few work contacts. Finding your dream job involves a combination of leveraging employment opportunities through a staffing service like UNITEMP, networking with second and third generation decision makers, and good old-fashioned hard work.
But like most things in life, the more time and effort you put into your job search, the greater your chances of success. So as you start the New Year, get organized, get down to business and make finding a job a full-time job:
- Determine what type of job you really need to continue your career development and set some short- and long-term goals to get you where you want to be. Let these goals drive a prioritized to-do list, broken into manageable, productive job-search tasks. You’ll be much less vulnerable to distractions if you stick to this list and track goal attainment.
- Devote time to job-search activities in proportion to their importance. Blanketing potential employers with digital résumés rarely produces results proportionate to the effort expended – so manage time spent on this activity carefully. While it may be easier than interviewing with a recruiter, or face-to-face networking, it’s not the most productive use of your time.
- Establish a daily routine that simulates a work day. Get up early, exercise (if that’s your routine), shower and get dressed. You don’t need to don a suit, but dress nicely enough to make yourself feel both positive and productive. Take a look at your prioritized to-do list, establish a game plan for the day and tackle your highest priority tasks first. Before you end your job-hunting day, plan out the next.
- Schedule informational interviews. While they may not lead to immediate job offers, this low-stress form of networking can be a high-yield career development tool.
- Work with UNITEMP. When you work with UNITEMP, you have access to temporary and contract opportunities with leading employers throughout Northern New Jersey– many of which are not advertised elsewhere and may lead to direct employment. If you haven’t already registered with us, you can get started right now by contacting a staffing specialist. And if you are currently registered, remember these quick tips to maximize the value we provide:
Send your updated résumé to UNITEMP. Have you gained new skills, experience or responsibilities since you first sent us your résumé? If so, please let us know so that we can update your profile and consider you for additional opportunities.
Search all of UNITEMP’s open jobs periodically. Set-up a regular reminder in Outlook, on your mobile phone, or in any other scheduling software you use. We receive new openings daily and update our job board frequently.
Finally, remember the reasons that you should choose temporary work over unemployment. UNITEMP can help you keep your skills sharp, keep your morale high and open the door for direct employment opportunities.