Has technology taken the ‘human’ out of Human Resources?
The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) recently published a report on technology trends in the sector, and the overall conclusion was unsurprising: today’s HR departments leverage IT to benefit almost every aspect of their daily operations.
Continual technology improvements, coupled with declining costs, has fueled a surge in HR’s usage of technology:
- Software is being deployed to manage areas such as internal mobility, appraisal management, succession planning and personal development.
- E-recruitment and performance management software are dramatically improving HR’s ability to effectively execute PRM (people relationship management) and further solidify their organizations’ employer brands.
- Applicant tracking and hiring management systems are streamlining processes and driving down costs.
But will this IT success come at a price for some HR organizations? While technology can reduce the administrative burden associated with HR and enable them to focus on more strategic issues, HR will always be about people management – which requires human interaction and face-to-face contact. As a result, HR organizations should attempt to strike a balance between systems and the human element.
As Jeff Phelps, President of WorkforceLogic/ABE Services says, “We can’t ever begin to think of treating people like equipment or some sort of inanimate commodity…The best of all worlds is a holistic solution that combines technology with the human element to facilitate putting the right person in the right job at the right time.”
HR technologies making the biggest impact:
- Employee self-service
- Workflow technologies
- Vendor management systems
- Applicant tracking systems
- Hiring management systems
- E-recruitment software
Find out more about the evolution of IT in HR, as well as key findings from the SHRM’s HR technology survey, by following this link to the HR Management article “Technology aids the human touch.”
When it comes to staffing your business effectively, both IT and the human touch are critical. UNITEMP leverages state-of-the-art technologies with distinctly personal service to deliver customized solutions that maximize your staffing ROI. Contact us today to learn more about our staffing solutions for New Jersey employers.