Like most things in life, you’ll get out of your job search what you put into it. Those who work harder, have a positive attitude, persevere and go the extra mile are more likely to get what they want – period.
If you have the commitment to work hard, but need direction for your efforts, here are five things you can do to take charge of your job search today:
1. Clarify your self-knowledge and your goals. Do you know exactly what you have to offer an employer? Do you know exactly what you are looking for in a career? Take the time to write down your specific skills, strengths, accomplishments and career goals. If you know what you want, and what you bring to the table, it’s infinitely easier to focus your efforts, identify potential employers and find the job you want.
2. Establish your network. Identify individuals in companies, industry organizations and professional associations who can provide insight into their employment needs. When possible, schedule informational interviews to learn more about potential careers, as well as skills you may need to acquire to make yourself more employable. Identify faculty, friends, business associates and relatives who can assist you with your job search. Tell everyone you know that you’re looking for a job and ask them to refer you to potential employers.
3. Get more organized. Place all of your job search materials, including: research on potential employers; listings of job postings to which you’ve responded; resume versions and cover letters; staffing services with whom you’ve registered; network lists, etc. Use this binder to track your progress, plan follow-up, develop daily to-do lists or record other important information.
4. Find a mentor. If you don’t have a trusted advisor who can help guide your job search efforts, you should get one. To select a mentor, choose someone you know who: has earned your respect; is successful in his or her career; will provide honest and effective feedback; will take an interest in your professional development; will support you in your career progression. Meet with this person regularly to solicit advice, share your ups and downs, and get the feedback and support you need to keep going.
5. Register with UNITEMP. As a leading New Jersey temporary and contract staffing service, we specialize in connecting hard-working individuals with rewarding temporary, temp-to-hire and contract opportunities. If you are looking to:
- open new doors and create new connections;
- earn money while conducting a full-time job search;
- gain access to unadvertised opportunities;
- keep your skills sharp and your morale high…
…Contact a Recruiter today.