Great staffing results don’t happen by accident.
They occur when smart people (like you) invest in creating the best possible relationship with a quality staffing firm (like UNITEMP). Don’t leave your staffing success to chance. Use these 10 ideas to achieve better staffing results:
- Give temporary employees formal job descriptions. Job descriptions should be well-defined, prioritized, current and submitted in writing to your staffing firm. They should include your expectations in terms of candidate abilities and experience, along with specific performance goals and standards.
- Give your staffing service as much lead-time as possible. This will optimize your chances of finding an ideal candidate for the assignment and may give you more than one suitable candidate to choose from. And when lead-time isn’t an option, let your staffing provider know which skills and traits are most critical for the assignment.
- Be mindful of cut-rate deals. People – including temporary employees – are your organization’s most important asset. They should be viewed as an investment, not an expense. When it comes to staffing, you get what you pay for, so work with a staffing service that takes the time to fill your needs correctly.
- Train your staffing services representative. Educate your staffing representative on your company’s mission statement, goals, culture, history and current performance. Tell them what types of work styles or personalities will fit best in your organization. Familiarizing your representative with your company’s needs and preferences helps your staffing partner become a more knowledgeable extension of your human resources department.
- Take full advantage of your staffing vendor’s resources. Invest a little time to learn about your staffing firm’s full range of capabilities and value-added services, so you can take maximum advantage of their resources. A good service can provide not only qualified candidates, staffing flexibility and cost savings, but staffing expertise and employee relations support as well. To learn more about your staffing service, request a tour or a capabilities demonstration.
- Set clear expectations. Establish mutually agreed upon expectations for interaction with your staffing supplier at the beginning of your relationship. This may include order-placing procedures, appropriate quality control checks and feedback methods. Setting expectations will ensure clear communication and expedient service.
- Benchmark performance. Find out what tests candidates are required to take at your staffing firm. When candidates are referred to you, ask what their test scores are. Establish preferred scoring levels for placements within your company, using your own employees as benchmarks. Additionally, encourage your temporary employees to take advantage of training available at the staffing firm.
- Provide feedback. Maintain an ongoing dialogue and honest relationship with your staffing contacts, keeping them abreast of changes in your company. Provide feedback on their service and the performance of their temporary employees. Meet regularly to obtain their input on what you can do to improve the quality of service and placements.
- Create a partner in your success. Consider involving a staffing firm in your company’s business planning. For example, you might include your staffing representative in an annual meeting to plan staffing strategies. Staffing experts can offer valuable insight regarding the possible uses of strategic staffing to meet your needs for workload variations, new hires and managing attrition. They can also offer valuable market data to help you retain key employees.
- Reward results. High quality staffing firms focus on more than filling orders. They want to help you save time, lower expenses and get work done. When you find a vendor who does a great job, look for opportunities to enhance the relationship. Invite them in. Challenge them to help you solve problems. See what you can do to reward their good results. Not only will you make your top vendor happy, you’ll increase their commitment to your success.
What can UNITEMP do for you? Give us a call. Together, we can explore opportunities to enhance your staffing results by:
- identifying inefficiencies where work could be performed at a lower cost;
- providing access to qualified and diverse candidates seeking temporary employment;
- offering the staffing flexibility you need to stay fluid during economic challenges.